PositiveNaija Q&A Forum

PositiveNaija Q&A Forum is a question-and-answer platform focused on constructive discussions on the development of Nigeria and Nigerians.

Please freely express yourself and we only ask that you keep your posts polite, factual, relevant as well as well-framed. In extreme circumstances, we may remove posts that violate this prescription.

Nigeria and Nigerians

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Job Scarcity in Nigeria: Correcting the Wrongs

Solving the problem of job scarcity in Nigeria: what have we been doing wrong?

(C.E.)

Visit the PositiveNaija Art Gallery & Gift Shop in Abuja (+2349064503292). https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_hJjE41dSkSjWW3ZQKLKg2leZ_KexyvC
Quote from PositiveNaija on July 2, 2020, 6:49:48 PM

Solving the problem of job scarcity in Nigeria: what have we been doing wrong?

(C.E.)

Well, I know I'm going to sound cliche when I say this, but from my analysis, I believe Government policies are where we always go wrong.

The government should not be the highest employer of labour, that's a disaster that will keep getting worse. You (a government) creates jobs by creating an enabling environment for the private sector to thrive (they are the largest employers of labour).

I'd use an example from the Obj/Atiku era. When they decided to privatize NITEL, a lot of people "ignorantly" complained that our national treasures are sold for peanuts. But today, that has given room to the growth of telecommunications in Nigeria with MTN, Glo, Airtel and others (who all have direct and indirect staff) and the NCC (a government regulatory agency) was setup (and of course, people were employed) to checkmate the telecommunications industry.

Now, I'm not saying sell off all government agencies,  no! I'm saying, create an enabling environment for the private sector to thrive because they employ labour the most.

Thank you Afor. Spot on!

To add: more industry engagements and partnerships with academic institutions.

Visit the PositiveNaija Art Gallery & Gift Shop in Abuja (+2349064503292). https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_hJjE41dSkSjWW3ZQKLKg2leZ_KexyvC

A lot has been done wrong,  and for decades,  this however cannot be corrected within a short period of time.

To start with,  the monopolization of essential commodities need to be disabled,  by empowering individuals,  with a sustainable startup capital to pick up these businesses from the scratch.

If this can be paid more attention to,  I think we will be on our way to creating more job opportunities in the Nation.