University of Ilorin, UNILORIN debate team have emerged champions of the maiden Genesis Debate tournament, which is an international open tournament.
Participants were undergraduate and postgraduate students from Nigeria, Ghana & Mauritius, held from the 4th till 7th of January 2018 in Accra, Ghana.
The Final round of the championship held on Sunday, 7th of January at the University of Ghana, was contested by the following teams:
In opening government – Jessica Amoor (University of Ghana) & Esinam Osei-Bonsu (Kwame Nkrumah University of science and Technology)
In opening opposition – Faithfulness Okom (University of Calabar) & Derrick Ackah (Ghana Law school, Mokola)
In closing government – Richard Adu-Poku (Africa Leadership University, Mauritius) & Omotayo Jimoh (UNILORIN)
In closing opposition – Hawau Abikan & David Ejim (both of UNILORIN,)
The UNILORIN debate team was also awarded 3 of the top 10 speakers medals, the best female debater award; the second best judge medal (won by Abolarin Mohammed) and Adekunbi Ademola, served as the Co-Chief Adjudicator of the competition.
- University of Ghana, Legon
- Covenant University, Otta
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Zenith University College, Accra
- Federal University of Technology Akure (FUTA)
- Islamic University College, Accra
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA)
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi (KNUST)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Africa Leadership University, Mauritius
- Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike