Winners have emerged at the 2017 Nigeria Media Merit Award (NMMA), held at the Muson Centre, Onikan, Lagos.
Winners Of 2017 Nigeria Media Merit Award (NMMA)
Nigerian Tribune won the Prize for Editorial Writing of the Year; Sulaimon Olanrewaju won the Coca-Cola Prize for Brand and Marketing Reporter of the Year, and the MTN Prize for Telecommunications Reporter of the Year; and Yejide Gbenga-Ogundare won the Saraki Prize for Agriculture Reporter of the Year.
- Vanguard Newspapers had its Senior Health Correspondent, Mrs. Chioma Obinna as winner of the 9mobile Most Innovative Reporter of the Year Award.
She clinched the award with her entry entitled: “National Hospital Where Death is Cheap.”
- Channels Television has won the Best Television Station Of The Year award – for a record 12th time.
- The PUNCH won the Newspaper of the Year award.
Eric Dumo was named winner in the Corporate Social Responsibility category with his story titled: “I have sold everything including my wedding ring to stay alive.”
Arukaino Umukoro, emerged winner in the Defence Reporter category with his entry titled: “Our Police their servants: How Nigeria’s VIPs use officers, others as domestic servants.”
- New Telegraph Newspaper clinched a total of eight awards.
New Telegraph’s Head of Investigation desk, Mr. Isioma Madike, won in two categories of both the Energy and Entertainment Reporter of the Year.
The Aviation Editor, Wole Shadare, won the Aviation Reporter of the Year with his entry; “White elephant airport.”
The newspaper’s Group Political Editor, Mr. Felix Nwaneri, was declared the winner of the Lateef Jakande Prize for the Political Reporter of the Year with his entry entitled; “A Federation of Unequal,” while the Assistant Editor, Oluwatosin Omoniyi was named the Female Reporter of the Year with her two-part story; “Dustbin Estate: Paradise of filth.”
Similarly, the newspaper’s Property Editor, Mr. Dayo Ayeyemi, was declared the winner of the Real Estate/Construction category with his story titled: “Faulty foundations: The Unanswered Questions.”
Also, New Telegraph’s Finance Editor, Mr. Abdulwahab Isa won the former Governor Olagunsoye Oyinlola Prize for Culture and Tradition with his story titled: “Zuma Rock: A monstrous Home of Mysteries.”
Mojeed Alabi, won the Education Reporter of the Year award with his entry, “Ivory towers of fraud.”
- Alhaji Lateef Jakande received the Distinguished Leadership Award; Eminent Media Icon was awarded to Dr. Alex Ibru; Distinguished Leadership Award went to Founder of Punch Newspapers, Late Chief Olu Aboderin, while Legendary Doyen of Nigeria Media was awarded to Late Dr. Ismail Babatunde Jose.