Winners have emerged in the second edition of Rising Star Creative Writing Competition  involving pupils from various primary and secondary schools in the country.
- Nine-year old Peter Adobamen of Corona School, Ikoyi, emerged overall winner
- Valerie Akpobome of St. Saviours School, Ikoyi emerged second position winner
- Ogunsipe Oluwadamilola Emmanuella of Livingsprings Schools, Awoyaya, Lagos emerged third position winner
Six pupils won honourable mention prizes in the junior category. They are Demilade Toluhi, Tofunmi Bankole, Racheal Unachukwu, Olafiore Olamuyiwa, Okpalaoka Chizuru and Chidinma Dominic.
- Kolom Oden-Ikpi of Yaba College of Technology Secondary School, Lagos emerged overall winner
- Nkpolara Adrina of Louisville College, Ijebu-Itele, Ogun State clinched the second position
- Pelemo Nyajo of Starville School, Abuja, took the third place prize.
In the senior category, four students, namely Chidera Anaeze, Aremu Oladimeji, Aboloko Oghnenejite and Itafame Esseoghene also won the honourable mention prizes.
The competition, sponsored by Writers Corner, a non-governmental organisation, recorded entries from pupils, drawn from various schools.
According to the Chief Executive Officer of the organisation and coordinator of the competition, Uche Udoji:
“Just like in the previous year, the second edition was keenly contested as there were many wonderful and incisive entries from children in different schools across the country.”
Udoji listed some of the criteria used in assessing contestants to include the writer’s ability to humanise nature, the extent to which the work relates and affects the human person; the beauty, flow and rhythm of language; poetic license and tone for poetry entrants; structure and organisation of work; format and style as well as spelling and appropriate use of punctuation marks.
The event is an annual children’s creative writing competition organised by the Writers Corner in collaboration with Vuvuzela Communication Limited, to help in the development of their writing skills. Sponsors of the competition include; Greenlife Pharmaceuticals and the Bank of Industry & Tripplesea Group.